Village Church Associate Director of Music Search
Wellesley Village Church is seeking a part-time Associate Director of Music to be the primary music and worship leader for our 9:00 am contemporary worship service. The ideal candidate will be an accomplished instrumentalist (preferably piano, synthesizer and/or guitar experience) and vocalist, with leadership capabilities. Experience across various genres of music, instruments, and ability to perform from music scores and lead sheets is desirable. This individual will also bring a spiritual and creative energy to this role, and lead music selection and execution in a variety of music and worship styles.
The Associate Director will also be available to provide musical support for special services (e.g. Holy Week and Christmas Eve) as well as periodic musical support for our 10:00 am worship service between September-June. This role reports to the Director of Music, Mr. David Carrier.
Primary Responsibilities will include:
∙ Developing and leading music worship at First Worship (9:00 -9:50 a.m.) services.
- First Worship is a non-traditional, intimate, engaging and sometimes experimental service, which often includes contemporary music from a variety of genres, including world music, pop, rock, praise & worship, and gospel traditions.
- The Associate Director of Music will work closely with the pastoral staff each week to plan and lead this service.
- The Associate Director of Music will also be responsible for identifying and involving other musical talent within the church to augment the worship service’s musical experience as appropriate throughout the year (e.g. worship band, additional instrumentalists, and/or vocalists)
∙ Provide music during the Holy Week and Christmas Eve services, sometimes as the primary musician and in other services as support to the organist and other musicians.
● Periodically supporting music at the Second Worship (10:00 -11:15a.m.) service September-June as mutually agreed to with the Pastoral and Music staff
- The expectations for the core job include participation in the Second Worship services 8 times between Sept-June, (not including participation in the Holy Week and Christmas services).
- Second Worship music support could include occasionally accompanying the senior, youth, and children’s choirs and instrumentalists, leading responses from the piano, and/or offering the gift of your own musical talent in voice or instrument.
∙ Working with the summer worship team of lay and clergy to create and lead the musical portion of an inspiring summer worship program, incorporating music that combines elements of both our 9:00 and 10:00 styles of worship, throughout the summer.
The expectation is that the Associate Director of Music will be present 44 out of 52 Sundays a year, as well as Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Christmas Eve. Attendance at regular meetings with pastoral staff at mutually agreeable times will also be expected. Vacation timing should be coordinated well in advance with the Senior Pastor. The Associate Director of Music will be responsible for finding and preparing substitute music leadership when taking time off.
Wellesley Village Church is an open and affirming congregation of the United Church of Christ. We are a vibrant and growing congregation that welcomes people from the Metrowest area to worship, serve, learn and grow together. Our intergenerational membership reflects growing diversity and embraces all people.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Please submit cover letter, resume and voice & instrumental recording (digital or CD) to the search committee co-chairs no later than November 15, 2019 at: WVCFW2019@gmail.com or by mail to “First Worship Associate Music Director Search Co-Chairs, c/o Wellesley Village Church, 2 Central St. Wellesley, MA 02482”